Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Lactation Cookies

I had overheard quite a few of my mom friends talk about Lactation Cookies over the past year or so. I decided when my very good friend had a baby that I would try to whip some up. So I did! The recipe that I found in a couple of places online is by Noel Trujillo and here it is!

Lactation Cookies
Ingredients:
1 C Butter
1 C Sugar
1 C Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal (No Subs)
2 Lg Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
2 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
3 C Thick Cut Oats
1 C Chocolate Chips
2 Tbsp Brewers Yeast (No Substitutions)

Preheat oven at 375. Mix 2 T of flaxseed meal and water, set aside 3-5 minutes. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Stir flaxseed mix into butter mix and add vanilla. Beat until well blended. Sift: dry ingredients, except oats and chocolate chips. Add butter mix to dry mix. Stir in the oats and then the chocolate chips. Drop on parchmant paper on baking sheet.

Bake 12 minutes.

 The Verdict

They are very easy to make and they taste pretty darn good! And I will fess up, I totally forgot to put in the brown sugar, so I'm sure yours will be even better than mine! I might play around with it next time and add something like cinnamon to take it up a notch as well. The reviewers online said that the cookies did really help with their supply, but I will have to ask my friend if they help or not. But I do know/remember that anything with oats helps boost supply as would brewer's yeast. The only issue with these cookies is that you will need some ingredients that you  might not normally have in your kitchen.
Some pesky ingredients that you might not have in your pantry. Ignore the tomatillos in the background, that's for another cooking project later!

I would recommend hitting up your local Whole Foods. They are sure to have it!  Make sure you are getting flaxseed meal not whole flaxseeds. You will find brewer's yeast in their Whole Body section.

So if you have friends who have new babies and/or are breastfeeding, go ahead and whip up a batch and bring them over. I mean, come on, who wouldn't love a batch of fresh oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? You might have to hide them from the daddies:)

No comments:

Post a Comment